New & Humble Beginnings

As a wife, a mother and a hobbiest

July 08, 2006

Summer Spinning Challenge-
I can't believe how much I've accomplished since I joined the Summer Spinning Challenge group. I wrote down my summer goals and posted them. It helps to put a time limit on the goals you want to accomplish (aka - dreams with a deadline).

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

The gold yarn is alpaca. I spun the singles for this yarn in the first weeks of learning to spin. It has been sitting on the bobbins all this time, because I wasn’t sure what to do with it.
After becoming better at spinning I realize the alpaca was too thick and not quite what I wanted. After taking a class with Stephenie Gaustad, I learned about binding for just these type singles. The search was on for a thread that I wanted to use as a binder. When I finally found this metallic with gold, purple and a variety of other complimentary colors I was sure it would be perfect. I'm very pleased with the results. I guess I won't have to throw out my thick alpaca singles after all. :D











I also bought a kid mohair fleece in March; a beautiful goat with the loveliest 3 inch ringlets. I processed that fiber from the washing of the fiber to the dying, picking, carding, blending with silk, spinning and plying. I'm very pleased with the final result. I plan to make Christmas stockings from the yarn- I'm hoping my first start to finish project will be an heirloom in my family for many generations to come.

My pegs are getting filled nicely.
I guess I'm going to have to actually use some of my handspun yarn for projects. I've been enjoying them just hanging there for me to admire. I just love how they look and feel.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Elisa said…

    Wow, that's quite a collection you have there. Love the orange, especially with the thread binder. Hmmmmm, you need another wheel so you can spin more . . . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home