New & Humble Beginnings

As a wife, a mother and a hobbiest

July 17, 2006

Let the Summer Games Begin -

Construction Zone
So begins the 830 Sq Ft addition to the house. Although we bought our house in 1994 we didn't seem to be crammed for space until about 2 years ago. I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden we don't have room to turn around. Adding on to our existing house makes much more sense then moving so............ here we go.

The new master bedroom will be part of the addition along with a new and larger master bath. We'll be turning one of my son's rooms into a theatre room and he'll move into the existing master bedroom. I'll have my
kitchen extend into a new dinning area and small livingroom and we're adding a half bath across from the theater room. Still no studio for me, until one of the kids moves out. BUT, I do get some much needed closet space to store my supplies and stash - Thank goodness!!

Since the addition will be added to the front of the house, our first step was to remove all the landscaping.







*Front planter area was completely overgrown [thinking we'd already be in the middle of construction by now] we let the gardener go over 6 months ago.

**Note - click on photo's for larger images.


















It was not without incident. All the plant material came out just fine. However, Eric the laborer, probably had nightmares of spiders crawling all over him for several nights afterward. Transplanting my beloved Crape Myrtle (a Mother's Day gift in 2000, from my kids -with a little help from their "Grandpa-Nuts") wasn't quite as smooth a process as one would have hoped.

The nursery was sold out of the correct size boxes,
so my landscape guy found an old (and very rotted) one in the back lot. Well as luck would have it - - half way across the yard the box bottom broke apart and it was down hill from then on. There was no other choice a new box was needed ASAP. The tree's roots were now exposed to air and the clock was ticking.





About a half hour later they returned with a new box and wouldn't you know it .......... the exact same thing happened. These boxes just aren't made to have the trees lifted without the use of a fork-lift or something supporting the bottom.

Mike, the landscape guy, nailed some 2x4's to the bottom and sides, then, with the help of my two youngest sons they were able to carry the tree to it's new "temporary" location while construction is underway.

Now it's a waiting game, to see if it lives or dies. I was only given a 50-50 chance for survival, but I had to try to save it. There is far too much sentimental value with that tree, and I just plain love it. It brings me so much joy throughout the year.

Even though So California doesn't experience too much change in the seasons, my tree does. It changes with all the seasons and is gorgeous in each one.

The crew was out today surveying the lot and the heavy construction will begin on Wednesday. Ahhhhh ~ finally.
:D

1 Comments:

  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Elisa said…

    Hooray! Construction begins. You have my most sincere condolences. Been there, done that. And the six month timeframe? Uh huh. That's what we thought. But just think of all the ROOM you will have! And how NICE it will be! Congrats on getting underway.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home