New & Humble Beginnings

As a wife, a mother and a hobbiest

May 23, 2006


They live-
My littlest family of critters – they’re all awake and mingling on a daily basis now. Aren’t they cute? :D They all have their own adorable personalities. The smallest one is named, Fluffy, acting like the "puppy" of the group. He is playful and active, curious and fearless. Fiona, (the only female - she has the smooth shell) is very scheduled and has her definite routines each day. I always know where to find her, depending on the time of day and the whether. Ronnie (our newest addition) is the mysterious one. He is rarely doing the same thing, in the same place, at the same time. He’s a bit more aloof (acts like he’s still a little sleepy). I wonder if he thinks he’s still dreaming. After all, he was taken from his home, of 17 years, and this time when he woke up – everything is different. I’m sure it will take him a little time to adjust, but he does mingle now, so I’m not too worried – yet. I just adore watching them. I think they all feel secure. Well..... at least they all know where to go for their food now. Pretty cute eh?

This is the first time they have all seen each other. We’ve had all three for quite a while now, (got the third one in late Sept 05) but the other two were hibernating when Ronnie arrived. Soon afterward, Ronnie went into hybernation too. So they have all just recently met. Fluffy, the ornate box turtle,(you can barely see him - he's in the shadows near the fence) has been with us the longest. We purchased him from a reptile show in June 2004 for my youngest son’s birthday (a turtle was the only thing on his birthday wish list). We adopted, Tiffany, the female California desert tortoise, who we renamed, Fiona, (because she is such a princess) when Chuck’s (mlh- my loving husband) sister moved out of state in July 2005. They needed to find a good home for her and we were more than happy to accomodate. Apparently, word got out we were adopting - because shortly thereafter, we were asked if we’d be interested in adopting Ronnie, (my son, Cory, calls him Reagan and I call Spot – due to a drop of green paint on his shell) when some friends knew of a family looking for a home for their beloved tortoise of 17 years. Also due to a move out of state. So suddenly we had our family of ………. we’ll call them “turtles” for simplicity sake. Earlier this month Fiona and Fluffy emerged and Ronnie is just now starting to come out and play. He’s a little slow to wake up. Although, he was the last one to go down for his long winter nap (kinda’ like Chuck – always the last one to bed).

1 Comments:

  • At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your humble beginnings humbled me. I've been educated. I didn't know turtles hibernated. How interesting! I need to read more than detective and murder mysteries. lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home